Vitebsk City

Vitebsk region is located on the north of the country, it borders with Lithuania, Latvia and Russia. The city is almost 300 km to the north-east of Minsk.

Churches and cathedrals, squares and old streets, bridges and city architecture, monuments and sculptures, museums and exhibitions, parks and public gardens, rivers, lakes and fountains... The list of sights the city in north-west of Belarus has not completed!

There’s Russian Orthodox Assumption Cathedral in the city center. One of the most beautiful and largest cathedrals in Vitebsk and Belarus, it was restored in 2011 according to the building of XVIII century. It was originally built in 1785, but was blown up in 1937. From the first sight the cathedral impresses with its splendor and charm. A splendid view of the city opens from the observation deck of the cathedral. This cathedral is seen from far away, and it's very well entered into many views of the city of Vitebsk. 

Another attraction of the city of Vitebsk is the current Russian Orthodox Holy Spirit Nunnery. The nunnery was founded in 1345, but the buildings, which one can see  today, date from the late XIX century. The orginal cathedral was destroyed in 1954. Modern building of Russian Orthodox Holy Spirit Nunnery was built in 2012.

Another important attraction of Vitebsk is the Roman Catholic Church of St. Barbara, built here in 1785. This church has a very memorable loo and it is an important architectural monument of the 18th century, as it is the only one preserved ancient Roman Catholic Church of Vitebsk, the other Catholic churches of the city were built in our times.

Vitebsk calls its City Hall as the city landmark. The City Hall is the architectural monument of the XVIII century. It is located in the center of Vitebsk in its historical district where the Vitba River runs into the Western Dvina River. For the first time the city hall was built in 1597 when the city was given the Magdeburg Rights; the building we’ll see dates back to 1775.  Now there is Vitebsk Regional Museum in the building of the City Hall is located in.

During our tour we can’t miss the biggest square in the whole Belarus. It includes a memorial area and event area. There is a monument honoring the heroes of WWII in the memorial area. The monument was built in 1974 and has the Eternal Flame where the wreaths are laid. The event area is equipped with four fountain, two large screens and a stage.

A sight that attracts visitors is Summer Amphitheater. This building is recognizable not only in Belarus but also far beyond its borders, as it is the summer concert stage and the main stage for the international cultural event "Slaviansky Bazar". And although it is not a historical place, however summer amphitheater in Vitebsk has become an important landmark of the city.

Another important landmark in the city of Vitebsk is one of the most visited museums in Belarus - the house-museum of Marc Chagall, the most famous Belarusian artist, who lived for a long time in the city of Vitebsk. House-Museum, as it usually happens in such cases, is located in the same building where the artist spent his childhood. The building is, by the way, refers to the end of the XIX century.

In addition to these, in Vitebsk there are so many different historical buildings and most of them belong to the XIX century, but there are older buildings belonging to the XVIII century. F.e. the former banks, colleges, schools, houses, warehouses, mansions, shopping arcades, and other administrative and commercial structures. There are also the ruins of the old synagogue and a newly built synagogue in Vitebsk.

There is no doubt that here one can find numerous monuments belonging to different times and periods of the history of Vitebsk. This city will not leave anyone indifferent!

Private Tour Guide in Belarus Katya Makarevich

Minsk, Belarus

All rights reserved

Phone, Viber, WhatsApp.: +375292506020

e-mail: belarus-guide@tut.by

Skype: makarevichus111

Self-employed guide Katya Makarevich

​Certificate of State Registration No.192799425 issed 06.04.2017

​Certificate of the National Agency of Tourism № 002064